#distance education university
A career in Advertising Communication
It’s a highly competitive industry. Do you have the strategy to succeed?
Consumers engage media in unpredictable ways. Citizens in the global marketplace utilize a variety of communication channels to learn, shop, build relationships and access data. They’re 24/7 always on and operate in a cluttered media landscape.
Emerging communication specialists need a focused, flexible undergraduate degree that builds diversified skills and critical analysis capabilities for this new communication model. Appalachian State University’s Communication Department is launching a new hybrid online-degree completion program for advertising majors that will build your personal strategy to succeed.
The new Appalachian State University Hybrid Advertising Program offers numerous advantages:
- Flexible: The new ASU hybrid advertising communication major is a degree-completion program; students transfer in with general education credits, then hone their advertising expertise while completing years three and four of their undergraduate degree.
- Focused Courses: The advertising hybrid program offers a well-rounded curriculum that builds student skills and confidence for the competitive marketplace. Classes include Media Graphics, Copywriting, Digital Media Production, Media Planning, International Advertising and Internet Communication, among others.
- Value: Cost-per-credit is highly price competitive and in many cases costs less than on-campus education.
- Interactive: The new hybrid education model offers in-classroom instruction during the first and last class dates each semester, while other course work and instruction is offered via interactive online technology.
- Convenient Location: Seated classes will be held at the Appalachian Center at Hickory, which is housed in the Catawba Valley Community College East Campus (easy access off I-40).
- Support: Students achieve both classroom and interactive connection to faculty. Distance education students have access to ASU’s library databases, real-time support from library administrators and live online support from “SmarThinking” tutorial assistance. Program meeting facilities are available for student groups at the ASU Hickory, ASU Caldwell, or ASU Burke distance education locations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What courses will I take in the online advertising communication degree program?
Students will learn about the history of advertising, laws and regulations affecting advertising, and social and ethical issues of advertising which affect society. Students of the Distance Education program in Advertising Communication will follow a cohort plan for classes each semester *
Year 1 Fall Semester
- COM 2618 Introduction to Media Publishing
- COM 2700 Foundations of Advertising
- COM 2300 Introduction to Mass Communication
- COM 3928 Communication Research Methods
Year 1 Spring Semester
- COM 3010 Media Graphics
- COM 3302 Copywriting for Advertising
- COM 3320 Digital Media Production
- MKT 3050 Principles of Marketing
Year 2 Fall Semester
- COM 2310 Communication Ethics
- COM 3200 Internet Communication
- COM 3305 Communication Law
- COM 3155 Theory Practice of Persuasion
Year 2 Spring Semester
- COM 3640 Media Planning
- COM 4400 Advertising Campaigns
- COM 4040 International Advertising
- MKT 4610 Consumer Behavior
*Classes are subject to change based on availability. Students must also declare a minor and requirements will vary depending on the chosen minor.
How much does it cost?
Tuition and fees are charged on a per semester hour basis with some small differences. Prospective students should plan for costs beyond those associated with tuition and fees. Additional cost may include things like applications fees, textbooks and graduation fees.
2015-2016 Distance Education Undergraduate Tuition Cost
- In-State $152.51 per credit hour
- Out-of-State $620.01 per credit hour
Rates are applicable to 1000-4000 level courses
Are Distance Education students eligible for financial aid?
Financial aid is available to Appalachian State’s distance education students under the same guidelines, rules, and process that apply to on-campus students.
How do I apply?
Prospective student need to submit an online application by the applicable deadline, which completion requires a paid application fee and any required supporting documents received by Appalachian State; ACT/SAT test score are not require for acceptance. Applicants accepted to the University will be invited to enter the program first-come/first-served – based upon the date their application was complete.
How long will it take to earn a BS in Communication via the Distance Education program?
This program requires 4 semesters to complete, 57-hour, fall and spring only program (2 years fall-spring, fall-spring). The Distance Education Program is the second two years of a four-year degree and offers only the upper division coursework.
Who can enroll in the Department of Communication Distance Education program?
Appalachian State University’s General Education Requirements can be met in one of the following ways:
- Appalachian State University’s general education requirement can be met by transfer students who have completed the North Carolina CAA (44-hour) core or an Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree with at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale when all courses taken as part of the 44-hour core have grades of C or higher (C- is not accepted). AA/AS degrees from out-of-state will be reviewed on a case by case basis to determine if general education requirements have been met.
- Completion of an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) at a North Carolina Community College (permissible only for RN to BSN applicants) along with the required/approved RN to BSN general studies curriculum (see program information page for the specific list).
- Students may apply individual courses to Appalachian’s General Education requirements versus completion of one of the options listed above; however, this option is not recommended as main campus (Boone) coursework is typically required.
Students who have an out of state AA degree can search to see if they have met our General Education requirements here.