Master s in Educational Technology Leadership
Chart the Course for Learning, Leading and Technology
Learn to lead the strategy and implementation of teaching and learning systems using emerging educational technologies with an online Master of Arts in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership from the George Washington University (GW).
Having pioneered distance-learning methods, GW continues to drive innovation in instructional technology and design. This innovative online educational technology degree program focuses on leadership, preparing you to advance human performance and learning in a variety of organizational settings, including education, business and government.
With a curriculum that is founded on the latest research-based approaches to education, technology and leadership, this program will equip you with the necessary skills to navigate the rapidly changing global environment for educational technology. As a graduate, you will be poised to successfully guide the future of learning and technology in your organization.
Why a GW Online Master’s in Educational Technology Leadership?
- Leadership Emphasis: This program concentrates on education, technology and leadership, preparing you to develop and implement instructional technology systems across diverse industries and organizations.
- Innovative Curriculum: You will receive a leading edge, respected education with curriculum that is as innovative as it is comprehensive. Core courses cover fundamental topics of instructional design and technology leadership, while electives span from needs assessment to computer interface design.
- Applied Coursework: Gain real-world experience through the completion of applied project activities, readying you to go beyond the role of technician, and become a manager and leader who is able to make important learning decisions.
- Streamlined Admissions: This program does not require Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) results for admission, enabling students to efficiently meet the admissions requirements.
- Tradition of Excellence: GW’s Master’s in Educational Technology Leadership program has led innovation in distance learning methods for more than 25 years. Accredited by the Middle States Commission of Higher Education, GW is dedicated to the improvement of teaching and learning through strategic partnerships with the Center for the Advancement of Research in Distance Education (CARDE) and the application of new educational technologies.
Master’s in Educational Technology Leadership Courses
GW’s online Master’s in Educational Technology Leadership is a 36-credit hour master’s degree and can be completed in as little as 2 years.
Curriculum (36 credit hours)
CORE COURSES (27 credit hours)
- EDUC 6114 Introduction to Quantitative Research (3 credits)
- EDUC 6368 Leadership and Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 6371 Education Policy (3 credits)
- EDUC 6401 Applying Educational Media and Technology (3 credits)
- EDUC 6402 Computers in Ed. and Human Development (3 credits)
- EDUC 6403 Educational Hardware Systems (3 credits)
- EDUC 6404 Managing Computer Applications (3 credits)
- EDUC 6405 Developing Multimedia Materials (3 credits)
- EDUC 6406 Instructional Design (3 credits)
ELECTIVE COURSES (9 credit hours) – Select 3 courses
- EDUC 6421 Critical Issues in Distance Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 6422 Instructional Needs Analysis (3 credits)
- EDUC 6424 Learning Technologies and Organizations (3 credits)
- EDUC 6425 Developing Effective Training with Technology (3 credits)
- EDUC 6426 Computer Interface Design for Learning (3 credits)
- EDUC 6427 Advanced Instructional Design (3 credits)
- EDUC 6428 Developing Digital Professional Portfolios (3 credits)
As a Master’s of Educational Technology graduate, you will continue in your career with a thorough understanding of the latest theories and practices of educational technology, including:
- Ability to utilize computers, mobile devices, and other instructional technology systems
- Knowledge of appropriate policy making in the context of educational technologies
- Ability to improve learning practices through applied research
- Understanding of leadership strategy and its role in education and development
- Design and intelligent implementation of appropriate educational technologies
The educational technology environment is expanding and diversifying the career opportunities for leaders who are in the technology field. By earning your Master of Arts in Education and Human Development in Educational Technology Leadership from the George Washington University (GW), you will position yourself to further your career in this growing field.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Services, training and development managers earned a median $95,400 annual salary in 2012, with jobs in the field expected to grow 11% by 2022. 1 Instructional coordinators earned a median $60,050 in 2012, with jobs expected to grow 13% by 2022. 2
Educational Technology Career Opportunities
- Curriculum developer
- Director or manager of e-learning, training or instructional services
- Educational technology specialist for a school, county or district
- E-learning developer or specialist
- HR training specialist
- Instructional designer
- Instructional technology supervisor
- Multimedia production designer
- User interface designer
Potential Employment Settings
- Government agencies
- Higher education institutions
- P-12 public, private or charter schools
1 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/training-and-development-managers.htm
2 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm
In addition to our online Master’s in Educational Technology program, we also offer online graduate certificates with a number of specializations within the field. These include: