Online Degree Programs in Education
Instructing others may be a passion of yours, which lead you here, and an online education degree can help you feed that passion. From the teacher in the classroom to administrative professionals like principals and deans, individuals who pursue careers in education use their occupation to enhance the lives of students and benefit society by creating a community of educated knowledgeable persons. Educators don’t just dedicate themselves to creating lesson plans and grading classwork. They commit themselves to constantly learning about what they teach and how to teach it. They work to inspire students and display information in fun and engaging ways. They use their knowledge to show learners the value of chemistry, math, science, English, fitness and more.
From kindergarten to high school, teachers normally require a bachelor’s degree as well as a state-issued certification or license to work, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. [i] [ii] [iii] Through this licensure, teachers are normally taught important theories and information about developmental psychology and learn about the proper methods of teaching. There are many professionals in the field of education who are not necessarily educators. Teacher assistants, preschool teachers and others may not require licensure depending on specific state regulations.
Whatever path you choose, an online education degree can teach you valuable information related to the occupation you are pursuing. This program may teach you the basics about learning strategies and leadership required to hold the attention of a classroom and may give you the skills necessary to start your journey to becoming an education professional.
How can I specialize my degree?
Most schools allow you to choose a specialization – a focused area of study within an online education degree.
- Elementary Education
Learn about classroom instruction and child development for children in kindergarten through 8th grades.
- Middle School Education
Develop skills to teach students ages 10 – 15 years old and to design a curriculum that will provide a structured environment as well as giving students a sense of personal responsibility.
- Adult Education and Higher Education
Apply theory to provide a rigorous, resourceful learning experience for a diversity of adult students. Know strategies for planning and executing dynamic curricula.
- Distance and Online Education
Apply technological know-how with teaching experience; incorporate a variety of tools and multimedia to engage and education students without face-to-face interaction.
- Educational Administration
Prepare for leadership positions and focus on management of personnel, legal issues in education, and education finance. Gain a greater perspective of a school’s impact and role in any given community.
- Special Education
Develop awareness, sensitivity and the knowledge necessary to meet the various needs of students with disabilities and be able to teach in different settings (home, school, etc.).
What skills might I learn in an online education degree?
When you have completed your online education degree, you will likely have gained many of the following skills and competencies:
- Ability to articulate and communicate strategies for school and policy reform
- Ability to establish and maintain consistent standards of behavior
- Ability to select methods, activities and materials that are aligned to a module, lesson, or course
- Capacity to create and foster a safe, inclusive learning environment
- Capacity to encourage and support learners to succeed in an academic setting
- Enhanced knowledge of specific subjects
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Expanded and sharpened instructional and teaching skills
- Good listening skills
- Increased awareness of how people learn
- Professionalism, fairness and integrity
- Sensitivity to student diversity
- Thorough understanding of various teaching styles, learning theories, and methodologies
- Understanding of human development and how changes affect the learning process
- Well-honed organizational and record-keeping skills
[i] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm | [ii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/middle-school-teachers.htm | [iii] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm | [iv] teac.org/accreditation/ | [v] bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/preschool-teachers.htm#tab-4 | [vi] studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/consider#statistics